Waiting for God’s Best

As a young teenager, I made a commitment to wait for God to bring my future mate. I committed that not only would I keep my body pure for my husband someday, but I would also guard my heart. For me, this meant that my teens and twenties were focused on serving in the local church and other ministries rather than temporary dating relationships.

Waiting was much harder and much longer than I would ever have imagined. I thought that if I did all the right things (kept myself pure, served in ministry), then surely God would reward me with a husband. My heart’s desire was to be a wife, mother, and homemaker. Sometimes I would see God give these blessings to others who had not waited on His timing or not been faithful to serve Him, and I was tempted to feel resentful. God was breaking me of a prideful spirit that thought I could control His blessings by my obedience. I had to learn to walk with God out of true love for Him, not out of expectation of a reward.

I kept waiting. Twenty-five, twenty-six, twenty-seven. People would say things like, “Once you are content being single, then God will bring the right person.” But I found that contentment was a choice, not a feeling. Contentment did not mean that the desire to be with someone went away. Contentment also did not mean that that someone would magically appear.

When I was twenty-nine, a friend introduced me to a man in her church and we began casually dating, often in groups of friends, and talking on the phone every day. I thought that at last this was the one that God had for me. He was a Christian and my parents approved of him; we had some pretty significant differences in our beliefs, but I thought we could work through those. When the relationship reached a turning point, I prayed fervantly that God might work in his heart to see me as his future wife; instead after nearly a year, we broke up, and my heart was broken.

The days following were some of the toughest that I have ever been through, but God poured out His love and grace on my aching heart. Through all the tears, the loneliness, and the unanswered questions, He helped me to turn to Him in deeper dependence than ever. I wondered, “What now?” God planted a little idea in my heart, and I began a specific time of 40 Days of prayer and fasting for my future husband. My best friend (also single and wanting to be married) and I kept each other accountable as we studied and prayed through the books of Ruth and Proverbs. We also fasted from all sugar and a few days we fasted from food entirely. At the end of those 40 days, I felt a new confidence that God was going to answer my prayers for a husband. But I also had grown so much more in love with Christ than ever before!

What I didn’t know was that 300 miles away, God was working in the heart of a young man and causing him to take steps that would enable us to meet. After the 40 days, I continued to pray intensely and fervently for God to either take away my desire to be a wife and mother or to answer it. Though I had been praying for my future husband for many years, I had never felt such clear direction that this was what I needed to pray for as I did then. Once a week I would fast and pray; often I would just pour my heart out to God about this burden.

That spring, Christopher and I met. From the very beginning, I was amazed at how many similarities we had in family background, interests, and beliefs. Never before had I met someone who matched me so well in every area. As we talked, I learned that he, too, had been waiting and praying for God to bring someone to him. He had been lonely and longed for someone just as I had. Over the months that followed it became clear that God had been preparing us over these many years, for each other. Christopher wanted to do things the right way from the beginning. Even though I was thirty-one years old, he still asked my father for permission to date me and later to marry me. During our dating, he gave me a beautiful silver ring from Israel with “I am my beloved’s” inscribed on it in Hebrew. He had bought this a few years earlier in hopes that someday he would meet a girl to give it to; turns out, it fit me perfectly. Most of our relationship was long distance, so we spent a lot of time talking on the phone and sending emails and letters. The distance protected us from physical temptations and allowed us to learn a lot about each other through deep conversations.

When it came time to plan our wedding, my father was out of a job and my parents couldn’t afford to give me the wedding that they wanted. We watched in amazement as God provided. Time after time, the people that Christopher or I had been serving or serving with in ministry turned around and blessed us. It became almost a game, seeing God provide in every little detail. Our wedding weekend was beautiful and perfect and I felt that my Heavenly Bridegroom was smiling down on Christopher and I and blessing our day.

It is wonderful to have saved myself sexually for my husband and to know that he did the same for me. It adds a great level of trust and closeness to our marriage. It is wonderful to have no regrets from the past. Even more, I am thankful that I waited for God’s very best, and that He protected me from making a second-best choice. During the years that I was waiting (and especially during the 40 days) I kept a special journal where I wrote down thoughts and prayers for my future husband. It helped me to remember that I was waiting for someone, not just waiting to wait! Just before our wedding, I gave that journal to Christopher and it meant so much to know that he truly was an answer to each of those things that I had prayed. We enjoy married life so much and have only grown in our love for and understanding of each other. We have a beautiful baby girl, and we often think that she would not be here if we had tried to shortcut God’s plan. During the times that are challenging, we think back over what God has done and it helps us to keep the right perspective and to rely on His faithfulness!

–Mrs. Jennifer Hunt
Ask or Think Ministries

41 thoughts on “Waiting for God’s Best

1. Annonymous says:

Thank you so much for writing this. I am a 26 year old woman who has recently turned back to Christ. I was also recently engaged but I have been having doubts that this isn’t God’s best for me. The situation is further complicated by him currently being deployed while I wrestle with the guilt and sorrow that I might have to end this relationship. One of my greatest fears is that by the time I have ended and healed the wounds of this relationship I will be too old to meet someone. I now want to wait until I am married to have physical intimacy and the thought that I’ll never meet a compatible, Christian man who is willing to wait for me won’t leave my mind. I know it is the enemy trying to get me to settle for less than God’s best, but the fear is still there. Your story gives me hope that I have time to get where God needs me to be and that He will provide a partner for me.

• Ask or Think says:

My prayers for you, friend, as you walk through these difficult days. These matters of the heart are not easy, but the Lord will give you the strength for each step that He calls you to take. Surround yourself with strong Christian friends (both married & single), uplifting music, and opportunities to help others and to pursue personal interests that perhaps have been on the back burner for a while. These were the things that made the greatest difference to me during days of heartache, loneliness, and despair. And yes, you do have time–when it is the right one and the right time, it is amazing how fast and how beautifully God brings everything together. That doesn’t make the waiting easy–it is some of the hardest obedience you may ever face–but it does make the joy and appreciation that much greater when your prayers are answered. –Jennifer Hunt

2. Alex says:

Im 28 yrs and waiting for my future husband. I’ve been keeping myself pure for Christ and my husband aswell. I am know fasting and praying for my future husband for 1week…but will continue till Our Lord shows me whom he is. I anm so blessed to have found this website for aiI truly believe God has guided me here. Thank you for your testimony and for your guidance.

3. Gail says:

What a beautiful, beautiful love story, Jennifer! Happy 3 years to you and Christopher!

4. Jeanna says:

Your story has brought tears to my eyes. I am also waiting and praying for god to send who has for me. Some things in your story are different from mine. But I also have had my heart broken. It is so hard I still get upset at times. The waiting is the hardest for me I am not a patient person but I feel that God is teaching me patience! Your story has been a blessing to read very encouraging. So happy that God gave you your hearts desires.

Jeanna

5. Linda says:

What an encouragement your story is! Thank you for sharing it. I am almost 25 and I am waiting for God’s best. Sometimes it’s discouraging and lonely but God places great people in my life to help encourage me. And He uses things like this to remind me of His goodness. :) Thanks again!

6. Rachelle says:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Much of what you said I can still very much relate to. The waiting is so hard and while I am “doing everything right” it seems like the day will never come. I have been on the HOPE rollercoaster espcialy riding it with huge ups and downs since my mid 20′s. I am now 30 and still hoping I too will be blessed with a husband, and children. I appreciate your story. It gives me yet another reason to remain hopeful and makes me feel like i’m not alone. Congrats on your happy ever after. I cant wait to see mine.

7. Sharon says:

What a wonderful God ordained moment you have experienced. Im now 30 and still hopeful that i am to meet my God ordained husband who shares the same love and dedication to serve in Christ ministry. Some days it is hard and it seems as if my patience runs low. I have bumped into men that dont share any desire for Christ as I do, but from their approach i just without hesitation know that they arent Gods best for me and i would remind myself that when I meet my husband I will know he is the one, just as he will know that Im the one. I pray God gives him the guidance to pursue me and I look foward to a future with him where we constantly show our relationship as an honour to give GLORY to God and for all too see Christ work in us. With everyday that passes we are a closer to meeting and lovingly we will begin praying to GOD together daily and lead our children closer to the throne of GOD in their . Im looking foward. Jeremiah 29;11

8. precious mukoma says:

Thank you so much um precious and feel so much encouraged I’m 23 and have also turn to christ it hasn’t been easy moving on single and waiting for God’s best because sumtimes u feel like goin back but honestly. Right now I feel encouraged n wana thank for helpin me feel that I shud wait n pray all the time and belive that he wil show up at God’s time

9. Pam says:

What an encouragement your story truly is. I am 45 and a lone mother and have been for many many years. I have been thinking about fasting and praying for a Godly husband. After reading your story, I now know that it is exactly what I must do. Over the years, I have wondered why things worked out like this for me but I knew that through this God used my situation to bring me back to Him. Thank you for your story and Congratulations on your marriage. May God bless you and your husand and family. PS 37 v 4

10. Michele says:

Hi there,
    It was extremely encouraging to see someone be honest about their struggles while they are waiting on God’s best. Some people only tell the happy ending part and leave out all of the necessary information to help others who are struggling. Thank you for being so honest and REAL about your struggles while you were waiting for God to come through. It has encouraged me greatly as I am waiting for God to bless me with a husband and child!

11. Tammy says:

This story was one of the best touching stories I have ever read. Thanks for the encouragement and sharing God’s best with the women who loves God and the journey it took to get his best.

12. ziyanda bolo says:

Love this article

13. Marjorie says:

This truly blessed me, thank you for sharing.

14. jamie says:

Your story is so encouraging! Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful story. Now I know what should I do next and hope I can share mine someday! :)

15. Marilyn says:

As I was reading your story tears filled my eyes of hope for my future. I was diagnost with a really rare autoammun disease in September 2012 this has been very hard on my life and the loneliness and fear that no man wil ever want me does cross my mind everyday. But as I read your story it gives me a peace of mind as I wait for God to direct my path and lead the right man into my life if it is in Gods plans.

16. Mary says:

It is so ironic that God brought me to this story. I am 25 and God spoke to me through the Holy Spirit a couple days before my birthday and he told me that I need to buy a journal and write to my love. It has been almost a month and I am writing nearly everyday just to say hi to him and tell him that he has been thought of. Several of my close friends are getting engaged, starting their families, or getting married and it is so hard to think that I am still waiting, but I know that if I wait the one I waited on will be more than I expected. So thank you for your story and your faith. Its hard when the right man isn’t here yet, but encouraging to see God working in people’s lives.

17. Lily says:

My story is similar to yours. Thank you so much for sharing. As a teenager I gave my life to Christ. and made a commitment to wait on God. I have been service in the church whilst waiting. I’m almost 26, and waiting and still believing and keeping the faith. Thank you for the encouragement. Some days the waiting is difficult.

18. tameika says:

I am so inspired…I am gOing to do the same thing. Thank u for sharing your amazing story. GOd is awesome!

19. Anne says:

I am so inspired by your story.But I wonder during your 40 day fast what prayers did you pray for healing and asking God for his best for you.

• Jennifer Hunt says:

I poured out my heart to God–the hurt, frustration, loneliness, etc. Also, I prayed through the books of Ruth and Proverbs, looking for relationship principles and qualities to pray for my future mate.

20. Gab says:

I strongly believe I know who my future husband is but he is not ready. He does not know that I know this but have been praying for him. Also, I have been seeking the Lord in this constantly so that I am not misled. I have received lots of confirmation from the Lord and sometimes try not to doubt but believe in the Lord. Is it possible that God can reveal to me who is my future husband and what to pray for concerning him?

• Jennifer Hunt says:

Hi, Gab,
      I definitely think it is possible, but would encourage you to “hold all things lightly” when it comes to matters of the heart. It is easy to want something so much that we mistake our own longings for God’s voice. In your situation, I would encourage you to find a Godly, trustworthy woman who will be a prayer partner and offer advice about the relationship in question. The perspective of someone who knows you both can provide invaluable confirmation or cautions in this situation.

21. Anon says:

Thank you for sharing: I identified with several parts of your story up to and including the break up bit.
    This has truly encouraged me

22. Patrice says:

God is awesome!! Beautiful story – it gives me hope. I am 28 and feel exactly how you once felt.

23. Sharon Robert says:

God answers prayers..i am single and waiting for His Best. I am 39 but i believe He can do it! :) Thanks for sharing your story, it is very inspiring.

24. Mary says:

Mary
    God answer prayers thats a beautiful story it encourages me.i am so inspired. trust in God alone and give your self to christ

25. Annonymous says:

I’m so jealous of your story and I’ve actually given up waiting. I’ve always prayed about my future marriage and waited until I entered into relationship for the first time with a prisoner. The relationship lasted for more than a year. I broke up with him because I feel like if we can’t be together, it must not be GOD’S time which makes it wrong for us to stay committed. As of this time, I still love him and I have this resentment towards GOD which I constantly try to battle. I can’t understand why a lot of my friends and people I know are blessed with wonderful marriages even though they did not wait or even kept themselves pure until marriage. It hurts me that I ended up loving a prisoner and though he’s a good Christian, still there’s no clear assurance of a future with him. My Parents and friends think he is not a good match for me because he is sick, in prison, uneducated and comes from a broken family.. sometimes, I also think so. I can’t hardly believe he is GOD’s best for me. Yet I feel condemned and guilty for thinking such thoughts about him. As of this moment, I just gave up. And reading your story makes me all the more jealous… maybe just this time because I’m feeling down. I just hope I can trust GOD more. I pray that HE completes me and that I would love HIM more than anything else. I pray for release from all my resentment and pride. May GOD forgive me for my weaknesses. GOD bless you. Thank You for your faithfulness to GOD and dedication to remain faithful to HIM despite the challenges. GOD bless you.

26. Daniela says:

That’s indeed a lovely story Jennifer, and I’m happy that you met the right man. I’m 41 years old and I’ve been waiting for almost 20 years now for God to send me a husband I can serve Him together with. It hasn’t been an easy road indeed, and these days doubts have been creeping in again in my mind. Will the Lord ever provide me with my other half? I have been fasting over lunch every Monday for the last few years, and I’m determined not to give up asking the Lord for my hear’s desire. I know that He is able, it’s just very hard sometimes to experience one crushed hope after another…

27. Rebecca says:

Thank your testimony for waiting future husband.
    Thank GOD to guide me to here.
    Absolutely, that road was not easy when waiting time.

But our GOD is faithful GOD, He knew all of HIS single children’s need.
    Let be just keep waiting with Hope and still have faith in GOD.

28. jenifer says:

hi jen.. I’m 22, no boyfriend since .. thank you so much for sharing your story. sometimes I wonder if I am unattractive..I’m still waiting. I keep on praying to God that He will send me my Mr. Right..It’s a relieve that I’ve your message..

29. jenifer says:

really. I need someone to talk to.. someone would understand my frustrations in life. because my friends are busy in their work. ..advice me please… :(

30. Dorothy says:

Thank you for your encouraging words. Although I have not saved myself for my husband. I have committed my life to celibacy since becoming saved. I am 28 and I have had times of great lonliness. I have not dated in 2 years and your story has really encouraged me! I can not wait to experience companionship aligned with the will of God.

31. Seyi says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your story with us, especially as it is very uplifting and gives hope for people who are in the same situation.
    I just wanted to ask you a question regarding the 40 days of fasting both you and your friend did: How come you fasted all sugar? Was it something personal to you, or is there a more general meaning it? Also, when you say you fasted all sugar, did you also fast products that contained sugar, i.e. processed food, such as bread, cereal, cakes and also fruit?
    Did you have allocated days in which you fasted food entirely?

I thank you in advance for answering my question!!

Kind regards,

Seyi

32. Philani says:

thank for sharing Jennifer, this was just what i needed. i am currently seeing some1 we are in distant relationship. but our communication is bad just when i thought this might be good for as we won’t have to stress about sexual temptations, he barely calls me when we chatting online he’s very selective of which messagets to rrespond and which not to respond to. and I’ve told about this a number of times and he would apologise. when we talk on the phone it’s like I’m talking to e different person than when we chatting.

33. Patriica says:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It’s truly lovely, God does have a sense of romance! I really like the fact that your future husband in an act of faith bought the right and it fit you! God’s ways are truly not ours.
    I’ve been praying and praying for hat seems lik ages and waiting on God for a husband. I came to Christ when I was already 30 and my life before that wasn’t honoring to God. And thanks for his mercy and love and that in Hom old things have passed away and we are new creations.

In an act of faith, I bought a card that I will give to my future husband on the day of the wedding. And I like your idea of the journal. I think I will borrow it. I’ve been trying to get myself busy serving God and keeping my eyes on Him and not worry about my age.

Thanks for your lovely story and praise God that He has been so faithful to you and your husband – and now your little princess.

34. Anonymous says:

God bless you for such a wonderful post, I am sooooo encouraged by it. waiting is not easy, but I know deep down in my heart it will be worth it. I have waited and i am still waiting, I have been having a very difficult time of it of late, the devil presenting all manner of “second best” to me, but I know very well the peril of marrying outside of the will of God from so many friends and family members, that I cannot allow that in my life. It is encouraging to read such a post from another woman who has been through the path herself and to whom God was faithful. Thank God for your life :)

35. Rebekah McCabn says:

Wow, this touched my heart in such a big way I hav3 tears coming down my face. I am 27 and have a very big seed planted in my heart that I will marry a very strong Christian man who is either in full time ministry or is 50/50 (depending if he has a corporate job) in the ministry. I have this vision of a man who is so Godly, true, devoted and so in love with Christ and being focused on HIM and his relationship that my future husband will not pursue other woman or casual date women but instead save himself for me and will be sent on a journey to come find me. Holding onto this vision is becoming so difficult. My desire to be a wife and mother goes stronger and deeper everyday. Sometimes it is so strong I feel as though I might burst. Then I came to your site and it spoke to me. I was wondering if you can go more in depth about your 40 days of fasting. I have not fasted before but would love to know more about your journey and hope you can be a sister in Christ to keep me encouraged :)

36. Ree says:

This is really encouraging. I am 22years of age, i had made a decision that i would save myself for my husband, but just when i was 21years of age, i departed from the ways of the Lord and eventually i broke my promise to God. My relationship with the guys lasted for about 6months,,,However, as curious as i was about the whole sexual act, i always felt it was a sinful act whenever i had to engage in it. So i broke up with the guy coz i could not go on anymore and i have been keeping myself for a year now. I don’t regret breaking my virginity because there are a lot of things i learnt throughout the whole experience but still and based on all those experiences, i have decided i am going to wait upon the Lord and i believe i will also meet my husband. I’m believing God to be engaged at the age of 25 and married at the age of 26. God bless you in your marriage and once more, thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.

37. bethanyey says:

Thank you for the encouragement.

38. hannahstover says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! It encouraged me in my waiting for God’s best!